Chapters One, Two, & Four
1. Identify the fields of psychology as described in chapter one.
2. Explain the difference
a psychiatrist, a psychologist, a
psychoanalyst, a marriage and family counselor, and a professional
3. Discuss the schools of psychology as discussed in chapter one.
4. Discuss the types of research methods.
5. Using the experimental method of research, develop a research project
beginning with an hypothesis and then describe the steps and methods
that would be used to study the hypothesis. Be sure to identify the
dependent and independent variable as well as the experimental and
control group. Use an experiment that was not discussed in class.
6. Discuss Paul McLean's model of the brain.
7. Explain the neuron, including the basic structures.
8. Identify Phineas Gage, and explain why he is important to
9. Describe the difference between the Right Hemisphere and the Left
Hemisphere, including the difference between a R-Mode person and a
10. Explain the four levels of consciousness.
11. Explain subliminal perception and the theory of how it works.
12. Identify James Vicary and explain his experiment.
13. Describe the stages of sleep.
14. Discuss dreams, including the theories of why we dream.
15. Explain the sleep disorders.
16. Discuss the psychoactive drugs.
Chapters Five, Six & Seven
1. Compare and contrast the models of Classical Conditioning and
Operant Conditioning, giving examples of each.
2. Explain the difference between positive reinforcement,
negative reinforcement, and punishment, giving examples.
3. Explain the problems involved with punishment discussed in
4. Explain the Social Learning Theory and the Cognitive Learning
5. Explain St. Thomas Aquinas' primary and secondary laws of
6. Explain the difference between episodic memory, semantic
and procedural memory, giving examples.
7. A diagram explaining how our memory works was used on
the computer and also handed out in class. Explain in detail
8. Explain the SQ3R method.
9. Explain the reasons for forgetting, including the biological
10. Discuss how to improve memory.
11. Discuss the difficulties in defining and measuring intelligence.
12. Explain a culture fair test and what it would consist of.
13. Explain the factors that can bias an IQ test.
14. Explain the factors that can produce differences in IQ scores.
15. Three theories that tried to explain the concept of
were discussed in class. Explain those three theories in detail.
16. Explain the two main reasons why students fail in college.
1. Explain in detail Freud's Psychosexual Theory of development.
2. Explain in detail Erikson's Psychosicoal Theory of Development.
3. Explain in detail Piaget's Cognitive Theory of Development.
4. Explain in detail Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Development.
5. Explain in detail Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
6. Discuss the methods of conception.
7. Discuss the stages of gestation.
8. Discuss the prenatal influences that can negatively affect the
9. Describe five major reflexes of the neonate and the
10. Explain Thomas and Chess' temperament patterns of infants.
11. Discuss Ainsworth's types of attachment.
12. Describe Baumrind's parenting styles and the types of
styles tend to produce.
13. What does the current research suggest concerning working
and their children?
14. Explain four ways in which adolescence can be defined or
and which way is the best way to define adolescence.
15. Discuss Havinghurst's developmental tasks for adolescence.
16. Explain Carl Roger's three components of identity achievement.
17. Discuss Marcia's theory of identity formation.
18. Discuss Reckless and Dintz's Containment Theory.
19. Explain Levinson's Theory of Adult Development.
20. Discuss the major issues of young adulthood.
21. Explain Neugarten's Personality Development Theory.
22 Discuss the major stresses of middle adulthood.
23. Discuss Havinghurst's developmental tasks for middle age.
24. Discuss the physical, mental, and social changes of old age.
25. Discuss Havinghurst's developmental tasks for old age.
26. Discuss why we have negative feelings about death and dying.
27. Explain the "Conspiracy of Silence," giving examples.
28. Discuss Kubler-Ross' Stages of Death and Dying.
Chapters Ten and Eleven
1. Discuss the four major reasons why psychologists are interested in
2. Discuss the five methods that psychologists use to assess
including the comprehensive model for studying personality.
3. Explain the five different theories or approaches to understanding
4. Explain Freud's structure of the personality.
5. Explain the defense mechanisms, giving examples.
6. Identify Dempcy and Tihista and explain their theory.
7. Explain the characteristics of a healthy personality.
8. Explain four common types of conflicts, giving examples.
9. Discuss burnout in detail, including the causes of burnout,
components of burnout, the characteristics of people who tend to suffer
from burnout, and ways of coping with burnout.
10. Explain the four types of coping strategies (coping grid)
discussed in class.
12. Describe methods of coping with stress, giving
Chapters Twelve, Thirteen, & Fourteen,
Discuss the history of mental disorders and the historical treatment of
2. Discuss the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental
3. Discuss what determines normal and abnormal behavior,
approaches of defining abnormal behavior.
4. Discuss the anxiety disorders, giving examples.
5. Discuss the somatoform disorders, giving examples.
6. Discuss the dissociative disorders, giving examples.
7. Discuss the mood disorders.
8. Discuss suicide.
9. Discuss schizophrenia, giving symptoms and types.
10. Discuss the personality disorders, giving examples.
11. Discuss the psychosexual disorders, giving examples.
12. Discuss the goals of treatment, how a psychologist meets the
rules of treatment, and the client's rights in a therapeutic relationship.
13. Discuss Psychoanalysis in detail.
14. Discuss Reality Therapy in detail.
15. Discuss Client-Centered Therapy in detail.
16. Discuss Marriage & Family Therapy in detail.
17. Discuss Group Therapy in detail.
18. Discuss the difference between Behavior Therapy and Cognitive
Therapy, giving examples.
19. Discuss the various biological treatments.
20. Discuss the difference between prejudice and discrimination
21. Explain self-fulfilling prophecies and give examples.
22. Discuss attitudes, including the development of attitudes and
attitudes affect behavior.
to Psychology 1101 Study Guide Page